Wednesday, July 8, 2009

America, dude

Strange quirky things in USA that a simpleton like me takes time to digest

1)Greetings

Every random person I come across the street smiles and says, 'Wassup' or 'How u Doing?'
Cool, ha? Initially , I had the *turning around ...who, me ? * kind of reaction. Then felt good sometime when ladies gave the smile.. but then it gets irritating with time.. Why would each and every person want to ask me how I am doing? Can you put up with my pathetic boring life? I should actually start off with all twenty one thousand of my problems and stalk them to help me with them and then these people will never ask anyone "hows it going?" again.

"Take it easy" is another such pest greeting. Really sets my tempers up (has the opposite effect than intended)
I mean, I do worry sometimes about life, but I am generally a happy person.. so I do not quite want each and every person to tell me to take it EASY. Do I look like I am gonna have a nervous breakdown or do I look like I am the sole breadwinner of 100 people and in search of a job? Then why should I be asked to "TAKE IT EASY"

2) Rules:
*Honking is illegal--why do the car companies make it(the horn) then.?.and why do they design it such that it is right in front of you. Do they realize how much self-control it takes not to press that honk..?

* Pedestrians have the right of way. One whole family takes 10 mins to cross the street where there is no signal , and you still have to wait.. You would break the rules if you startle them in any way.. And on TOP of that...rule 1 still applies..can;t honk too
-------
*Airports are still paranoid. its been long now...8 years after 9/11 ..still they dnt allow no shit in carry on bags.. When I was traveling to washington recently, I was asked for identification 3 times..in fact two successive checkers were just around 6 ft apart in distance. I wanted to tell him, "Dude why don;t u ask the other guy what he saw.. hes right over here..dont u trust him? Are you planning to lay him off? "

* It rained for an hour or so, and the only thing people talked was that roads are flooded.. Now, I was curious what they ACTUALLY mean by flood. Then , I learnt that any visible level of water above ground is termed as "flood" Wonder what they will call 26/7 like situation of Mumbai, where the entire ground floors were submerged..

* The supervisor trick !
If some bugger on the phone is not getting your work done or is inefficient or plainly boring you, just say in a stern voice, "Can you forward the call to your supervisor.?"
And then sit back and enjoy your work get done in a jiffy

*I officially hate Marcus Lopez. I get 3 calls a day which begin with " This is an important call for Marcus Lopez . If you are not Marcus Lopez, please hang up... (Yea, I should wait till you ask me to hang up?)

* Veggie Dilemma

I-- Do you have anything vegetarian? i could not find any on your menu
waiter (w)- Veggie?
I- Yes ...Vegetarian--no meat..
W--Oh no meat?? You eat chicken/?
I- No ..no meat---no chicken...
W- Ok, you like shrimp or fish?
I- No No...no meat , no chicken, no fish--
No land animal or no sea animal...got it? Someting tht does not have meat.. Do you have anything??
W- Yes..we do have a variety of items..
I- What all?
W- Various snakes.... ( He meant real snakes..not gujju "snacks" .. I love those ones)
I- No..just bring one Pepsi..

11 comments:

All Talk and No Action said...

Zubin,
Please write some more...this was was definitely too damn good and sarcastic and hilarious - all rolled in one :)

"How u doin" can definitely be tiring AND irritating...since people DONT stop to listen to ur reply!! It's just so mechanical a greeting!

BTW, Try saying "I am allergic to meat, Chicken and all things that would ordinarily jump off my plate...So bring me such stuff ONLY if you wana get sued"...

Snehal said...

Take it easy dude..lol

Veda said...

haha..love the bit about the Floods..& i don't think the horn issue is that bizarre..forgot how crazy-noisy Indian roads are?

You know this reminded me of a polished version of a book called the Inscrutable Indians..google it! :)

You really should write more often, you know. May more drafts see the light of day!

Veda said...

did i say inscrutable Indians? lol..its Americans! :P

Lavanya said...

atleast u r not jain...or else god help u...
luv,
lanu

Anonymous said...

rofl kinda funny :)
the flood bit and the supervisor trick was particularly hilarious.
keep writing you have a great flow with words.
and thanks for droppin by at my blog :)

Raj said...

hilarious mahn. keep it up. lol

Miss Komal said...

AWESOME.
:D

I would refrain saying 'Nice Post" , rather 'ekdum Fundoo post hai'. :-)

measure my grin , eh ? :D

"take it easy " , seriously it haves a contra effect !

ZK said...

@mukta..will follow ur recommendation..should b good to try it

@ Snehal.. "You" take it easy :P

@Veda : Yea :In Mumbai, people sync their horns to the beats of the playing songs too..its "cool" they say :P

@ Lavanya.. Er. I am a Jain :)

@ ivy, scarlet and Fallen Angel : Thanks for dropping by guys .. good work on your blog too

Unknown said...

hey there... first comment... lemme say ... ur sarcasm is belly ticklin...

while reading this... im imagining a role reversal- imagine an american southerner in India! now that wud be sumthin to laugh about...

ubernerd said...

Theory about random people saying "Hi":
I think after some time you will realize that you see so few people on the streets that you will be happy to see another human being, especially in winter. And then you will say "Hi" to whoever comes across you. It happened to me heheheh :)