Thursday, January 3, 2008

So Howz Life at Grad School?

Yes thats the question I am bombarded with daily... Dude...howz grad school going at USA??
So here's my take on it---

Life of a grad student is not a party...not even in a party school. They say education system in USA is not competitive-relaxed system.. I say-You want to see my finger second from the thumb?
Life is not a bed of roses.. Daily grind is what it is! There's no Mommy dearest waking you up 10 times "Beta utho...time for school" You need to train yourself to wake on the first buzz of the alarm--dont rely on Snooze... But firstly, You need to remember to set the alarm. If you reach your class in time, you have to pay your complete attention full time. Note down each pearl of wisdom in your notebook or into your mind. People don't photocopy/xerox in bulk over here..This is not undergrad engg anymore.. If that is how you passed undergrad..be afraid, be very afraid..

Also dept said Thou shalt do sincerely 4 assignments per week and submit them in good legible handwriting and that is not a meagre task in itself! I dont remember a single night when I have slept before 2 am. And then you have tests and quizzes and midterms and finals.. So-moral of the story is SLOG SLOG SLOG

But thats not all! There is fun part to it too! Hanging out with friends! Seeing other people work so hard inspired you! Getting to know people from different parts of India and world. Understanding their philosophy, their way of life enriches you. (I remember I wrote something like this in my statement of purpose :D)
Trying out different cuisines, going sightseeing to different places or going clubbing or simply sitting by the calm of the sea breeze on the beach..can restore the serenity and peace in your mind.
Try out different sports, experiments with cooking and feeling proud when you get true appreciation (for the effort or for the result-doesnt matter) clicking away pics and uploading them late night so that your folks back home can "see" the world with you, making long phone calls or instant messenger calls...these may seem little nothings, but these "trifles" hold deep meaning value for any grad student, I can vouch.

yea..other bugging VFAQ I am attacked with is...."Howz chick life? saale koi mili kya..kisko pataa rahaa hai..." Maybe, I will address that issue later.

1 comment:

Veda said...

"be afraid, be very afraid.." - haha!

Maybe u should write abt the chick-front now. I'm very interested to read that. ;)